Sunday, May 20, 2007

Yesterday, we were invited over to the home of one of the girls who attends the children´s class. We walked there after the class was over...they are a very sweet family, and actually came to church this morning!






They have two rooms...a front room that I am standing in, which has a stove and a few chairs...and then this, which is the bedroom. The floors are dirt. It was actually nearly completely dark inside, they only had a small lightbulb behind me hanging from the ceiling...and it was only the afternoon still.



This is the outdoor area, the bathroom, laundry, and where they keep their guinea pigs to eat or sell.


Aldair
Shiomara
Gabriel, two of the young girls...around 10 or 12 years old, brought him to the class. Imagine this...he was even more adorable and kissable in real life. Ah!!

Betty, Esther and baby Nicole...whose home we visited.

And yes...clouds. Just as I promised. But, these arent the best...it rained yesterday and has decided upon being obstinate...but as soon as the weather clears, Ill take more.



BEAUTIFUL sunsets.


Ah yes, my Spanish.

Well...its coming along. I can say what is your name? and what age are you? and good!everything´s good....bein! bein! The children tried to tell me about their pictures they were coloring, so I smiled and said bein! bein! Apparently, they were asking for more glue....and crayons. They think Im funny...and giggle a lot. Which frustrates me, because I am doing very well with my Spanish...obviously they dont know that....Obviously they dont know that I even know what avacado is and what to say when someone sneezes and I know what ´because´ is....which is very useful. It is however, very embarrassing when you are asked a question, and all you have ringing in your head is the word... advacado.

Where are you from, señorita?

um...uh........Palta?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Avocado? Like 'lawyer'? Wait, that's 'abogado'.

May 20, 2007 at 10:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the cloud photos, especially the second one. Great foreground and color.

Give the 20mm lens (the chunkier one) a try for sky pictures. It's a wide angle and has an effect of pulling the corners out. Very cool for sky photos.

May 20, 2007 at 10:42 PM

 
Blogger Sanyu said...

Hey Holly,
The pictures are still amazing! Can you imagine trying to explain everything and not being able to sent pictures? Yes, I love technology!:-)
I see that you are still wearing your ugly shoe/sandle things :-) I Love you Holly.
The home you visited, that is what I would call culture shock. It is so hard for Americans to understand those kinds of living conditions. Especially with the joy the people have even in those conditions.
Praying for you,
Beth

May 21, 2007 at 8:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thay're crocs, beth. :)

May 22, 2007 at 4:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One time I answered a co-worker’s question with the word cauliflower. English is my first (and still only) language so you shouldn’t feel bad about this whole avocado thing.

May 26, 2007 at 11:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,
We're waiting for more pictures and information on how and what you're doing. How's your sinus infection?

May 26, 2007 at 7:32 PM

 
Blogger Nathan Winslow said...

So, I know that I am responding to your post several months after the fact, but that was a really funny post (about your struggles to learn Spanish.) As for the conditions of the home you pictured, words are trite and mean very little when action is demanded. Thank you for taking action.

July 14, 2007 at 11:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home