Friday, July 27, 2007

Finally

In Arica, overlooking the ocean

Some of the team members and I

Yes. I know I owe everyone an update. So much has transpired though, since my last post- that I think I have procrastinated in hopes that updating this would be easier. It isn't. So much has happened in fact, that I can't remember everything. Bear with me....

The morning we left for Arica it was quiet and cold; and it seems like last year. We drove only about 20 minutes before we were suddenly stopped by rocks and protestors blocking the road. Apparently, here in Peru blocking roads with small boulders and thousands of rocks is considered an efficient method of protesting. These protests are called 'paros.' They usually start very early in the morning, cutting off all transportation on those roads all day- or even for several days. Apparently, the people think that this concept will get the government's attention- by stranding and upsetting their own friends, neighbors and countrymen. However their logic may work, we were stuck, and we had to leave to renew our visas and we had to use that only road leading out of Cusco. The Lord was gracious to us after Ricky told the protestors that it was an emergency and that we had to get to Chile. Although he may have exaggerated- we were greatly relieved to get through. But....a few minutes later we were again confronted by more road blocks, and found that the road was blocked off every few miles. Cars and buses were turning around and everything seemd nearly in chaos. We found a road through a field that by passed the the paros. A little later on, one paro was barricaded with tires lit on fire and a noisy mob. But, once again, the Lord let us pass it. We were the only car that kept making it through....

As it were, we were expecting the road trip to last around 10 hours. But, with the delays from the paros and the sight of the sun sinking beyond the hills, we knew we would never reach the border in time. It ended up taking around 16 hours. We stayed in Tacna for the night and then crossed the border the next morning. As it turns out, my visa expired that very day. God's provision and grace has been so evident to me! After Arica, we went again back to Tacna. Or...attempted to. A massive paro had blocked off the highway between Arica and Tacna, and the road was littered with rocks, glass and even a tree at one point, for miles and miles. Thankfully, the protestors had left. We were able to drive on the side of the road over smaller rocks, but when we were nealry close to Tacna, a group of protestors with fire had blocked off the rest of the road. So, we followed another car through a field, and outskirted half the city coming in by another road.

We visited the church in Tacna and then proceeded to Cusco- but found that the whole country was participating in the paros- with Cusco getting the worst of it. Long story short...it took us a couple extra days to get home and by the time we arrived, I told myself that I never wanted to go on another road trip for a very very long time. I think my appetite for adventure was completely fulfilled. But, I have to say- that was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. There's so much more, but you will have to ask me about it all when I get home.

A few days later, another team from California arrived. All 22 of them. They were awesome! They were 13-19 years old and faithfully presented their skits and mimes over and over, with cheerfullness and enthusiasm. They has already been perfoming in Tacna, so Cusco was the last leg of their trip. They only left a few days ago, but I miss them already.

Michelle, the other intern and my roomate of two months left the same day as the team. Her company was so encouraging and inspiring. Michelle- Patti misses you terribly! I love you girl! Oh and.....a certain golden haired fellow misses you too... Vito sends his love! :)

So, now with those busy and eventful weeks past us, we are just trying to regain a semblance of normalcy. Prayer night...San Marcos...cooking for only a few people...and a deathly quiet house. Thanks everyone, who have sent me notes and letters! It is such an encouragment. Love you all!





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Holly it seems like you are having quite the time there. It is such a joy to hear what is going on down there. I miss you and am praying for you.
I love you girl
Elaini

PS. This verse came to my mind for you and so I just added your name in.
"Therefore, my beloved Holly, be steadfast. immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord." 1 Cor. 15:58

July 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM

 
Blogger emelina said...

may i please have your hat?

come home soon.

August 10, 2007 at 8:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home