Monday, June 25, 2007

Inti Rami

Michelle and a random perro

Cheryl and Helena [Victor is in the background]


Matt
Amelia and Anne

Dan





Tracie




The team is here.


The past couple of days we've set up several families with cages and ginuea pigs. They have been so overwhelmed; it was humbling to witness their gratitude and tears. Today we are painting the children's room and taking more qui to a couple families. The goal of the qui business is not to just give them away, but to teach these people the concept of keeping a business. Many here work for alcohol, and bring nothing home to their families, and so wives and children are forced to provide income; and if given a few ginuea pigs, would either eat them in a couple days or sell them, making hardly any profit. Our goal is to teach them to care for them, feed them adequately, breed them, and sell a few, and then breed more- so that they can earn a living and learn to understand that they don't have to live in extreme poverty.

Yesterday, we went to Inti Rami, which is Quechua for the Festival of the Sun. It was beyond description. It is nearly impossible to drive there, so everyone walks. The festival is located on a hill, around ancient Incan ruins, on the outskirts of the city, and thousands and thousands of people attend. Every single street was thick with people, jolting and pushing; it was surreal. The walk took an hour from the city, and 98% of it was all uphill, upstairs, and on the side of a cliff. When we finally reached the summit and the festival grounds it was astounding. I have never seen so many people in my life. I was suddenly aware of the reality of the multitude that Jesus fed; I was there, I was a part of the throng of people, I was among the multitude! But, I came back to earth when the festival started. Hundreds of people, dressed as Incans in their traditional clothing, so colorful, began to dance, chant and kneel and worship the sun. They sacrificed alpacas on an altar and prayed to the sun to always shine. You see, it was the summer solstice, the shortest day of the year, and they are afraid that the sun will leave and never come back. Ironically, when the head Incan priest prayed and chanted, the sun appeared from behind the clouds that had been covering it all morning. The crowds cheered and clapped. I got goosebumps.

I had been sick for a while, but this past week I have improved very much and I feel so good. It has been an adjustment living with the team here, but I love it. It has been a great experience meeting them and working together. We packed all of us into a small van today, all 16 of us or so, sitting on the floor, crammed on each other and car sick, driving the back roads. Oh! Pretty soon we leave for Machu Piccu, and I can hardly contain my excitment. I get to experience it in person! We will get there early, so that we can see the sun rise. Can this be real!? It must be...I have a cramp in my neck right now and my foot's asleep.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun! Glad to hear your health is getting better. What city and church are the Californians from?

June 25, 2007 at 4:16 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Machu Piccu! I am jealous! :-) Take tons and tons of pictures for me... I have enjoyed hearing about what is going on, thanks for taking the time to keep us posted thru your blog. Praying for you.
Cassandra

June 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi darling,
I am so excited that you got to go to macchu picchu. make sure to post a lot of pictures. we ar praying for you and are so excited to see how God is working in and through you. We got done with our swimming lessons today! You should see Laina and Jonathan!! They are amazing!

June 29, 2007 at 10:51 AM

 
Blogger CT said...

Holly darling!
Oh what a delight to see such pictures, and what an adventure. I am so glad to hear an update. =)

My prayers are with you.
Christa

July 1, 2007 at 8:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home